Monday, November 4, 2013

DIY - Liam's Halloween Costume!

Okay, I love to craft but that becomes difficult since I can't really sew.  I understand the basics, but do it so infrequently, that I needed to make something that required little to no sewing.  I plan on making his costumes as much as I can unless he falls in love with some intricately clothed character.  But for his 1st Halloween, I WAS NOT going to buy anything. I had a monkey and pumpkin costume from a rummage sale, but still wanted to make something.  So he became Superhero Liam!  Here's how I did it and how much it cost....

Materials 
Plain t-shirt for cape - Hobby Lobby - $2.09
Plain white long sleeved onesie - Babies R Us - pack of 3 - $9.00 (divided by 3 = $3) (if you just had one this would be free)
Gold fabric glitter glue - Purchased last year at Jo Anns - free
Craft Fuse/Lite EZ Steam - $3.40-$3.99 - Jo Anns (I bought 2 different things b/c I wasn't sure I got the right thing the first time.  Turns out it was but I had difficulties using one of them)
Red pants - already owned - free
Fabric for letter - Rummage sale remnant fabric ( I bought a bunch of stuff and only paid $3 so probably $.75?)

Total -  $9-10

Here are my materials


First thing I did was use the fabric to cute out my "L".  I did it free hand and just used my straight edge for the long side.  It took me way too long.  And I may have had a few L's lying around

This part was ridiculous.  It took me way too long and too many trials b/c I didn't peel off the last layer.  I ended up calling my friend Robin and she helped/sewed the L on.  Again, sewing is not my forte!



I actually did the L right but struggled to remember what I had done to get it to stay. 


I missed a few pics in there but I ironed on'd and sewed the belt and added a glitter belt.  It got sort of globby so I spread it with a toothpick.  I put a piece of cardboard in between the shirt when I did the lightening bolt.  I did it free hand and filled it in.  It is very thick and sticky but it works.

It only needed a night to dry and I finished it up the night before my Halloween race so Liam could match me!  I cute the sleeves off the t-shirt and there you have a cape.  *Note, this t-shirt was a size 2T but Liam has a big head so glad I went big!

The finished product on!



He was sick this morning so please excuse him but it turned out perfect!

Sorry this is flipped, but this was Halloween.  In the 2 weeks between my race and Halloween, the onesie barely snapped so go up a size if you ever create with a onesie.




Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment