Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The dreaded treadmill? **workout included

I secretly hope that before the end of 2013 I write 10 posts about fitness.  This is post 1.  I want to return, somewhat, to why this blog was formed....running and fitness.  Will all 10 posts happen?  Maybe.This is only happening b/c my son is asleep and my husband isn't home and I'm too stubborn to lie down even when I've been up since 4:45 am.  Here goes....

I have a love/hate relationship with the treadmill.  I feel like we all should.  Consequently, I also have a love/hate with my gym.  It does the job (since the other location burned to the ground - no foul play though) but with running outside this summer or early morning and being able to lift (limited equipment) at school, I just haven't made it.  It's an extra 10 min drive there and back I don't have anymore.  Ok, back to the treadmill.

I love running outside.  Literally, I would always rather run outside.  I've ran in below zero temps and when the heat index is over 100.  Doesn't matter.  The wind, trails, neighborhoods, new routes, fresh air, etc.  Now, getting to take Liam and show him the world is an added bonus.  However, there are days and if you run, you've been there.  The days when it is pouring down rain and you HAVE to get run.  I have run in pouring down rain but it's not my favorite.  And I end up being soaked.  Not cool.  There have been a few key times when I HAD to use the treadmill.  I had a half marathon coming up or I just had the running bug and would not relax until I got the run on my plate for the day.

Believe me, I'm a glutton for punishment.  I once ran 9 miles....around a track....at 5 am....30 degrees out.  BORING.  Dumb move.  I've also ran when it was "a little" icy which really means I was skating around Belleville.  But now that I'm older and have a kid, I feel I should be a little more responsible.  So when a storm is coming, I hit the treadmill.

Here's why I hate it.  First of all, it's bad on your knees, legs, etc.  It is not accurate to real running/walking and in fact, propels you in such a way that changes your gait.  This could cause more damage in the long run.  It also overestimates how many calories you are burning.  If you think any cardio machine in the gym is right, take off at least 10%, probably closer to 20% and that is what you are actually burning.  Even if I have a TV to watch or magazine to read, (yes, I read while bouncing around) I am still staring at that dumb track with the red blinking light going around and around and slowly watching my mileage and time go up.  I become obsessive and play mind games like, "Okay, I'll wait two more songs and then I'll probably have run 3 miles".  Side note, it's always like half a lap.  Yet again, somedays you have to shut up and hit the road....I mean conveyer belt.

Here's why I love the treadmilll....It is there when I have  no other choice but to get a run in.  And certain routes I have mapped out in town don't have much incline or I can tell I'm not going as fast as I could go. The treadmill is great for playing with incline and speed.  I hated driving to the gym a few mornings back to run just 30 min, but after getting there and getting started, I realized I do like changing it up.  It's great for 15-20 min sprints, 30 min long runs, etc.  But I will never run 9 miles on the treadmill again (yeah I've done that too).

Here's a sample workout to try sometime if you love hate the treadmill like me:

Warm-up - 5 min - 5.0-6.0 mph (depending on fitness level. 6.0 mph is approx 10 min/mile)

3 min (min 5-8) - 1% incline - 6.0 mph
2 min (Min 8-10) - 0% incline - 6.2 mph
3 min (Min 10-13) - 2% incline - 6.2 mph
2 min (Min 13-15) - 0% incline - 6.4 mph
3 min (min 15-18) - 2.5% incline - 6.4 mph
2 min (min 18-20)- 0% incline - 6.6 mph
2 min (min 20-22) - 0-1% incline - 7.0 mph
3 min (min 22-25) - 0% incline - 3.0-4.0 mph

**So pretty much you are increasing the incline, then the speed.  Each time the incline goes up, the speed stays the same.  The point is that you do not increase speed and incline at the same time.  Do it in timed intervals so you aren't dying!  Then all out sprint to finish and a 3 min cool-down.  Mix it up and try different things, but push yourself!  You know your limits and I bet you could go10 more seconds if you gave it your all. =)

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment