Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Liam's Birth Story

This has taken me forever to do...we're at 4 1/2 weeks already but I knew I wanted to document Liam's birth at some point.  So here goes...

My official due date was Saturday, March 23rd.  2 weeks before that, our doctor was all, "It could be any day now.  You're 3 cm and 90% effaced."  Naturally, I went into high gear, wanting him here more than ever.  And it seemed like he never ever came.  I would literally cry b/c he wasn't here yet.  I was sick of being pregnant and sick of the anticipation. 

So on Saturday night of the 23rd, I was convinced I was never having this child.  I woke up like any other night several times to pee.  The first time was around 1:15 with nothing other than a bathroom stop.  Then I was up again at 2:30 to pee again.  I laid back down but felt "different".  I felt what I would only describe as menstrual cramps.  They were pretty light but kept coming in waves.  I decided to come out to the living room and found my yoga ball in Nathan's studio to bounce on.  Between 2 and 3:30 the cramps were pretty steady.  Not too painful and bouncing on the ball seemed to help a bunch.  I finally woke Nathan up at 3:45.  I pretty much knew what was happening but wanted him to get as much rest as possible. 

Nathan timed my contractions and they were about 45 seconds a piece and anywhere between 1 and 3 min apart.  We called the ER and they got a hold of our doctor who said to go ahead and come in.  I texted my mom at 4:30 saying we were going in and to standby.  She knew snow was in the forecast so she headed out to beat it.  By 5 am, my contractions were getting pretty bad.  I would run around the house, packing, putting my contacts in and would run to the ball the second I felt the pain.  This went on for a while as Nathan got packed and loaded up the car.  I literally had a contraction, then ran to the car b/c I did not want to be in there when another one came.  Luckily, we only live 5 min from the hospital.  I do not think I could have handled a 20-30 min ride. 

When we pulled in, I checked in at ER and they got me in a wheelchair.  I told them my name between my heavy breathing.  They didn't seem like it was any big deal that I was having a baby.  I was thankful for one nurse who told me to slow down my breathing or I would hyperventilate.  Nathan parked the car and met us in there.  As I was wheeled to the Birthing Center, they wheeled me into room 7....perfection right?!  They got me in the gown and hooked me up.  Now, I had planned to labor at home, take my time, wear a birthing skirt, have essential oils, play calming music, etc, etc.  Needless to say, none of that happened.  There simply was no time.  And I didn't care at this point either.

When they checked me there I was already at 6 cm.  We told the nurses we planned on a natural delivery and they were very supportive.  Reminding me the entire time that I could do it.  Once I got my gown on, the contractions all moved to my back.  I found that bouncing on the ball helped, but really nothing could take away that pain at this point.  Nathan was on one side and a nurse on the other, digging their thumbs into my low back whenever I had a contraction.  A warm washcloth also helped.  Another lady came in to get my blood for our cord blood donation and of course she did it right as a contraction was coming.  I had several very severe contractions and they were so close together that I asked if there was any type of mild pain killer I could have that would not affect the baby.  They could give me Staydal which is really like a Tylenol but they would need me in the bed to check my cervix to make sure I wasn't past a certain point.  I was a 7-8cm and was given a mild dose in my IV.  Oh yeah, as I stood up to get into the bed, my water broke.  It's just like everyone says, a gush of water that keeps on gushing.  Nathan was like, "Yeah, that just kept coming out."  Not pretty, but I did not care once again. It's amazing how birth will make you loose all modesty. 

While in the bed, I would say that the contractions got mildly better for about 20 min but that was it.  The pain was pretty awful by now.  I tried all fours, standing, and gripping the side rail and nothing helped.  I was breathing very fast and also moaning.  I just kept thinking, "This can't last forever."  If I could describe contractions, I would say an intense tightening and pressure/pain.  It's worse than a menstrual cramp, but it is bearable.  I asked for more Staydal and was told no because I was already at an 8.  The doctor got there around 8:30 so I knew that the time was getting closer.  They iodined my legs up and asked if I felt like pushing.  Nope.  But was told to start.  My mom had been here during the bad contractions but she left when I started pushing.  The nurses told me that everytime I felt a contraction coming, I was supposed to grab my shin and pull my legs toward me, bear down, hold my breath and push.  I could barely grip my leg b/c I was so sweaty so Nathan and the nurse pushed them towards me.  I felt like my head was going to explode when pushing.  The nurse told me it would feel like a burning hot mess...terrific.

I'm pretty sure I went to the bathroom while pushing but hey, it happens.  Then I felt "the pressure" that everyone talks about.  It felt like a really big poop and that's what I thought it was, but they assured me it was the baby.  I kept pushing and pushing for what felt like forever.  Finally, as the doctor got suited up, I figured it was getting much closer.  He told me to relax my face which was nearly impossible to do but I tried.  And my breathing was erratic.  I screamed several times as I was pushing and one nurse came in to make sure everything was ok.  Does she know what floor we're on?!  Again, this pain can not last forever....I felt another gush, looked and saw some form of liquid flying everywhere than saw the doctor pull him out.  It was finally over!  I heard the placenta hurt worse but apparently mine just slid out and I had no more pushing left to do.  They placed Liam on my chest and just left us to bond for about an hour before weighing him and measuring him.  We already knew he was a big boy though! 

When I was showering up an hour later, the nurse helping me asked if I was a runner!  She said she often sees athletes and runners with shorter, easier labors.  And she and the doctor were so supportive of me when I wanted to give up.

All in all, I'm so thankful God allowed me to deliver the way in which I felt was best.  I can't say right now that I won't ever have an epidural, but this is what was right for this baby.  I admire all those women who have natural births and are in labor for 10+ hours. And anyone who has had a baby with pain meds or a C-section....really, all women should be applauded for going through any form of labor and birth.   I will definitely say I would not have been able to do it naturally if I had a long labor.  Liam and I have had some setbacks since birth (breastfeeding, gaining weight, tongue tied) but I feel like this was the best for him as he entered the world, plus Nathan thinks I'm pretty amazing =)  And for anyone considering a natural birth, I can definitely recommend it.  It is hard, painful, but I will honestly say that hours later, I couldn't remember the pain.  I had my baby and that's all I could think about.   

No comments:

Post a Comment