Thursday, November 13, 2014

Food Review: Chia Seeds

First of all: What are chia seeds?!  

Remember Chia Pets?  Yep, they're still around and that's what I'm talking about.  Chia seeds are edible seeds grown in Mexico.  "Chia" means strength and natives have been ingesting the black and white seeds for an energy boost for years.  

Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). One ounce (about 2 tablespoons) contains 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals.

Some people claim that they help with weight loss, but studies are still inconclusive from what I could find.  

 


Uses?
I sprinkle them on my smoothie for added fiber and an extra crunch.  Use them in cereal or yogurt!  

Nutritional value?
These little seeds are honestly fabulous.  3x more calcium than milk, 3x more iron than spinach, 8x the omega-3 than salmon and many more!  

Taste?  
They sort of remind me of a bird seed.  I guess if you ate bird seed =)  I let them sit in my smoothie one time and they sort of grew and expanded like the chia pet and the taste was more gummy.  No bueno for me.  So I drizzle on my smoothie, then immediately eat.  

  




Who knew Chia Pets from the 90's would be a super food?!

No comments:

Post a Comment