Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Crafting!

It is one of my goals for this year to complete 10 crafts.  Most of them I will have stolen from Pinterest but seriously who doesn't steal ideas from there?!  So I started in January with a vengeance...

So I decided that I needed a wreath or something for my front door and since Valentines day is the next official holiday (sort of), I decided to make a wreath I found.

I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics last Friday and bought heart shaped styrofoam, burlap, and pink ribbon.  My glue gun was still in the packaging waiting to be used so that, in a sense, was free!

Here's what I started with - 


So I first cut the burlap into 2.5 x 2.5  squares - not precise but definitely not rectangle shaped...square worked better
Next, I folded them in half, then folded them in half again, dabbed a little hot glue on the end and stuck it to heart.  I criss-crossed the burlap pieces so they overlapped (sorry no pictures...I'm new to this and probably had hot glue on my fingers)

You can make them closer or farther apart...however crowded you want the wreath to be!  And burlap apparently sheds like crazy...still haven't quite figured this one out yet.


I stayed up until midnight finishing the wreath and in the morning, I cut the pink ribbon and glued it one the back....it was a little top heavy but in the door, it doesn't much matter
Finished Product! - Total cost - $7.82.  I challenge you to find a wreath cheaper in a store!  

And one tip, I sprayed the wreath with hairspray hoping the burlap wouldn't keep falling out.  Did it work?  Not quite sure but as long as I don't bump into it on my way inside, it has worked well.

9 more crafts to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment