Monday, February 23, 2015

Balancing It All - a working mom's schedule

A friend of mine posted her daily schedule a few weeks ago and as a working mom, I was interested in how she "does it all".  This post will be in a series as other moms check in with how they balance working full-time, working out, cleaning, making meals, etc.  So in case anyone cares or is curious what my routine is, here it is:

4:45 a.m. - Alarm goes off, and I hit the alarm
5:15 a.m. (ish) - out of bed, bathroom, drinking water and either heading out for a run, to the gym or at-home workout.
6-6:15 a.m. - home and hopping in the shower.  My gym is an 8 min drive so sometimes I'm closer to the 6:15 mark

6:15-7:15 a.m. - get ready (clothes are laid on for the week in a basket so no guessing), make coffee, make a smoothie or egg, check social media and post.  Like my friend's posts.  Pack my lunch up (it was prepared the night before)  Head out the door.

7:15-7:50 a.m. - commute to school.  Typically listen to the Bobby Bones Show or another talk radio.  Sometimes get into a Podcast if there are too many commercials.

7:50-8:45 a.m. - Prep for classes.  This could include making copies, setting up my classroom, grading papers from the day before, checking and responding to e-mails, entering grades.

**I don't have a conventional classroom, but borrow someone's room for my health classes.  So I am back and forth and back and forth throughout the day.

8:50-9:42 - High School Health class - 18 students.  This week we're on Nutrition and how the government has no clue what we should be eating =)
9:46-10:35 a.m. - 8th grade PE - This class is a ton of fun and keeps me on my toes.  We're playing handball right now.
10:41-11:25 a.m. - 7th grade health - another classroom and we're on Nutrition as well.  There is some overlap in material with the high school but this class is only 9 weeks so we're on a much faster pace.
11:30-12:25 p.m. - High School PE - a challenge for sure, but they are active and work hard.  Handball again right now.

12:30-2 p.m. - I am technically done for the day at 12:30.  I usually eat lunch in my office and work so I don't have to take anything home or I work out in our tiny weight room if I missed working out that morning.  I also check other emails, social media, respond to inquires, get ready for the next school day.

2:15-3 p.m. - afternoon commute.  This drive is much less enjoyable for some reason.  It goes by way slower.

**While 2 is my typical leave time, I will occasionally (2x a week) leave around 1 and get groceries, mail eBay stuff, or stop by the house and pick up a snack for Liam if I'm taking him somewhere else after I get him.  Usually though I go straight to him.

3 p.m. - pick up Liam.  His sitter is approx 10 min from our house which isn't bad and she is great!  Very flexible with both of our random schedules.  Liam is there usually from 10 am - 3 pm, 4 days a week.

3:30-5 pm - This is where the day ramps up.  Every day is different, however, on any given week we will drive to our chiropractors one day, go to a store another day, or go straight home.  If I go home, Liam gets a snack and I wash dishes from the morning and start prepping dinner. Liam will eat his snack and play (usually).  Some days, no cooking or cleaning goes on and we just sit and read.

**My typical strategy and method is to not have to cook on nights when I'm leading my group bootcamps (M/Wed from 5:15-6 pm).  So on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I will sometimes make 2 meals. Or I will make the side for a meal like sweet potato fries and then all I have to do is cook up the burgers the next night. If I make 2 meals, we will eat one and have the other for the next night.  I highly recommend this method! 

5 pm - Liam eats dinner while I am usually still doing laundry, cleaning up from the dinners I made, etc.  I am very guilty of trying to get it all done!
6 p.m. - 7 pm - Nathan is usually home during this time and will lay on the floor to play with Liam and check-in.  I may or may not have eaten yet depending on what I'm having or if I'm hungry.  Sometimes I eat at the stove b/c mommyhood.

7 pm - Liam get a bath usually from Daddy while I check social media, post for fitness challenges or work on client workout programs.

7:30 pm - Bedtime routine with Liam - brush teeth, read 3 books, prayers, make him giggle, and send him to bed with a book to read.  The boy loves his books!

7:30 pm - 10 pm - This could be any combination of cleaning up dinner, watching our favorite show, talking about the day, relaxing together, or folding laundry.  I will lay my clothes out for my workout the next day, school, and get my lunch together.  On Wednesdays, Nathan is at the church late so I use this time to get ahead on fitness stuff or respond to church emails.

9:30-10 pm - Read - I have a few books I'm desperately trying to finish so this is typically my time.  I read a lot on the weekends too.

10-10:30 pm - Read or check my phone until my eyes are drooping.
10:30 pm - lights out to do it all again!

This is a "typical" day, while the last 2 weeks have been chaotic.  Here's just some of the jobs I'm doing both paid and unpaid:
1. School Teacher
2. Athletic Ministries Coordinator at my church (most work can be done at home)
3. Starting my own fitness business (online videos, challenge groups, etc)
4. Personal Trainer bootcamp leader at a company in town - 2 nights a week every week
5. Volleyball referee ( 2 nights a week starting late Jan)
6. Worship leader at my church
7. Wellness Ministry leader
8. Mommy, wife, cook, cleaner, washer, etc!

While I don't recommend this schedule for any or most, it works right now.  I cannot wait for summer when it's me and Liam all day.  That is the best job of all!  I love my roles and know that God has me here for a reason.  This season won't be forever and I pray he is using me for BIG things for HIS kingdom.

My favorite verse right now sits at my desk and I say it over and over as I make the decision to say yes or no to things: "I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."  John 15:5

I'm no good if doing, doing, doing but have Christ out of the picture.  If he's not in it, it will fail and it's not where I should be.  Just some food for thought!  I hope my schedule gave you some perspective and insight.  I don't always get it all done.  I'm exhausted a lot and sometimes miss those early morning workouts but 5-7x a week, I will get a workout in albeit short.  Find your balance and know that you are doing the best in your situation with what God has given you. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're super busy but that you've got a pretty good routine worked out. Don't forget to throw in some time for self-love :)

    ReplyDelete