Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Changing seasons

I had the thought for this post last Saturday.  I was up early getting ready to garage sale and I had to dig deep in my closet for the sweatshirt that morning and a warm cup of coffee, which is an everyday staple.  Fall was coming.  Ah...let us all take a deep breath and enjoy that.  While we did not have the hot, crazy humid summer like last year, the cool air was a relief all the same.  I even busted the heat on in the car for my drive.  

There are certain things in life that are unpredictable and even though I feel I have control over things, control is just an illusion.  But seasons will always change. Again, bear with me because I'm assuming we all live in the Midwest or a place where you see snow, sunshine, leaves fall, and flowers bloom.  =)  Seasons come and seasons go.  This is not revolutionary, but it made me stop and consider a few things.  I am not always 100% content in my life.  There are moments of joy and happiness, but there is unrest sometimes.  Seasons change, however.  The trees aren't bare forever.  No matter how dreary your winter is, literally or metaphorically, the snow will melt and the buds will begin to sprout.  

Okay, literal seasons aside, the pain won't last forever.  It may linger just like the blasted humidity, but it will change and evolve.  The sting of your guilt will subside.  The aching of your heart will mend.  The hurt will heal.  Jesus promised this on the cross.  Without the pain, there would be no victory or glory.  The leaves fall, trees dry up, so they can begin again.  If we truly looked at the seasons, I believe it could help us better deal with our current situations.  

Enjoy the ride of whatever "season" you are on for it will mold you and make you into who God wants you to be.  Sometimes I still feel like I am riding the grief train from losing dad almost 4 years ago this month, but I have confidence and hope in my current season and that always makes the sun shine.


Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment