Sunday, October 12, 2014

Formula for a GREEN smoothie!

Many of you are looking for a quick, healthy breakfast that is easy to make and full of nutrients.  I have a smoothie most mornings and other days it could be eggs, or Ezekiel bread with almond butter.  I will post more healthy breakfasts in the weeks to come, but below is my tips on how to build a great smoothie!



1. Start with a base - 1 cup of one of the following - Almond milk (unsweetened), Coconut milk, Skim milk, Coconut water or 1/2 milk and 1/2 water or 1/2 milk and 1/2 brewed coffee (cooled)

2.  1 handful of greens - spinach, kale, collard greens or swiss chard

**This would be the place to throw in a scoop of protein if you have some you like.  We use our chiropractors stuff called Maximized Living Protein and I've recently been using Vanilla and Chocolate Shakeology (Beach Body Product).  I like both because the ML stuff is from grass-fed cows and casein free and both are sweetened with Stevia.  But both are crazy expensive.  It's a health investment for us so if you find a good protein powder that doesn't taste like chalk (neither of these do) than I would invest in it.  Seriously.

3.1 cup of frozen/fresh fruit - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, pears, peaches, apples, mangoes - throw in a mix or throw in 1 kind. 

4.  Super charge ingredients - for added health benefits and for things you may not like but can't hardly taste the flavor of, add the following - 1/2 avocado, 1Tb chia seeds or flax seeds, 1Tb coconut oil, 1 Tb ginger, 1 Tb nut butter, 1 Tb cocoa powder

5. Mix it up in your blender and go!  (we use a Vitamix...again it's expensive but it has more than paid for itself in our smoothie making and Liam's baby food)

Experiment and try out different fruits/flavors.  I always buy whatever frozen fruit is on sale and I mix my day old coffee with almond milk and a banana with ice for my own version of a frap!  Sooo good! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment