Thursday, October 30, 2014

What is Paleo and should you try it out?



When I first heard the word 'Paleo' I had no idea what it meant.  I figured it made me look cool to say, "I've gone paleo, have you?".  Oh my....I knew I wasn't cool right then and there.  But it did get my attention and I started doing research on what Paleo actually was and would it benefit me as a runner, exerciser, and general fitness enthusiast.  

Here's the scoop:
The Paleo diet is much more than a "diet".  In fact, I feel that people mistake it for a short term weight loss plan when really it's getting back to the health that God designed for us eating real, whole unprocessed foods.  It's cutting out harmful foods and adding in healthful ones.  Think about what the cavemen or people living in the "paleo-lithic" era ate and how they survived.  They hunted their food whether on land or sea, ate in season fruits, veggies and plants, and naturally, did not eat any processed foods.  This food helped them be lean, fit and thrive.  With the start of modern agriculture, which in some ways, was a great thing, we have become forced to eating sugar, chemically processed oils, wheat and high fructose corn syrup.  

When people shrug it off or think it's another fad, I tell them to think about how many caveman were obese or suffered from cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and autoimmune disorders????  It isn't a fad diet.  It's a return to a natural way of eating.  You will look and feel better eating the way God intended.  Sound good, but still nervous about completely overhauling your diet????  

You don't have to go all in 110% to get the benefits of a Paleo diet.  Here's what I would recommend, not as a nutritionist but as a person who lives it 80/20:

 1.  Eat unprocessed, whole, nutrient dense foods that will give you nourishment but not tons of calories.  Go for grass fed beef, free range chicken and eggs, and wild-caught fish and whole vegetables.  Load up on in-season fruits, and nuts (sorry, peanuts are legumes)

2.  Avoid foods that are addicting, harmful to our gut flora, and cause inflammation.  The main culprit being sugar and worse of all: HFCS or high fructose corn syrup.  This means abstaining from gluten, processed meat products, and other toxic foods.

The Paleo diet is a not a quick fix for weight loss.  It's a way of eating that honestly has saved us time, money, and added so much flavor to our lives.  We eat this way approx 80% of the time.  If you suffer from any type of autoimmune disease, stomach issues, or just feel junky most of the time, try Paleo.  Give it a chance for 30 days and see that you don't feel differently.  Play with spices and mix it up.  We love it because it's not a food restrictive diet or way of life.  We enjoy foods and we enjoy them in abundance!  Plus, I've learned how to use ingredients like bok choy, fish oil, avocados, tumeric and curry in new and exciting ways!  

Here are links to my favorite Paleo recipe books:

Everyday Paleo - great ideas on fitness and food for kids

The Whole 30  - a great place to start on a 30 day plan

Nom nom Paleo - fun recipes, great pics for kids

PaleOMG - I love this girl!  Great recipes and weekly workouts!






No comments:

Post a Comment