Monday, January 19, 2015

That one piece of advice from my parents that always sticks with me

Both of my parents have given me great advice through the years.  Of course there was always the "Because I'm the parent" moments and "You'll understand when you're older."  Those, I could do without.  My mom is an abundance of knowledge, wisdom and faith.  I look at her whole life and know that I can glean so much from it.  How she forgives, how she loves, how she speaks in love...she gives great advice, but her life speaks through her.   But the advice that I'm thinking of in this post came from my dad.  He was a man of few words, but when he spoke or wrote, you knew it meant something.  He spoke from experience and all the times he felt he missed an opportunity or he messed up.  He wasn't perfect, nor claimed to be, but continue to try and try again. 

One thing he told me in a letter as I was going to college was this: "You have been given so much and those who are given much, are asked much."  

To me, this is a life verse.  My dad was big on making a contribution to society.  Making a difference to the least of these.  To be a blessing to others whenever possible.  My dad didn't have much growing up, but he made the most of it and gave of himself to his family and his friends.  

Sometimes I HATE that I have to help.  I want to lay around and maybe complain about my circumstances, often forgetting how blessed I am.  I'd rather see the negative.  But dad's words remind me to go out and help someone else with all that I have been given.  Sort of like, God has entrusted me with much and it's my job to share and give that others.  This could be monetarily or through service or going out of my way for someone who give you nothing in return.  Have you given this week or this month out of the abundance of what you have?  If you don't know where to start, ask God to reveal those opportunities to you.  Believe me, he will.  Just be ready to act and give!

No comments:

Post a Comment