Thursday, June 11, 2015

Facing your giants

Isn't Facing Your Giants a movie?!  Oh well....I was running last week on our running trail with Liam and had my headphones on and a song by Francesca Battestelli came on called "Giants Fall." As I was listening to the lyrics, I thought about my own "giants" or things that I put in my way apart from God and also the things with which seem impossible.  Those sins that seem to constantly beset me. They seem hopeless and helpless.  Sometimes I feel I will always be this way.  

But these lyrics really caught my attention, "Don't you be afraid of giants in your way.  With God you know that anything's possible."  Sure, sure.  God can do anything, right?!  I believe that, but why won't he move that one mountain in my way.  Why won't the door just fly open where I need it too?  I don't have the answer to those questions so don't expect it here, but it did get me thinking about David.

David was a mere shepherd and often a slave to his brothers.  When they went into battle, David was watching sheep.  Sort of a lowly position.  He would bring them food and ask how things were going, and they would merely send him away.  In fact, one of them asked what he was doing there.  His dad Saul finally lets him go into battle after this giant, Goliath torments them day in and day out.  Saul suited him up. David took his bag with his sling and stones and went into battle against Goliath.  We know the story.  One stone between the eyes on the forehead and Goliath went down.  It's a great (yet odd choice) for a children's story.  And then we sort of move on from there, don't we?  

But go with me on a few takeaways from these verses...

1.  The preparedness - Sometimes I expect to just show up and have things get better or be taken care of.  But David got prepared.  He dressed in Saul's tunic and armor.  Then he walked around in it to make sure he could move.  Sort of like we ladies wear a pair of heels or shoes around the house before we commit.  =)  David knew God was with him ,but that doesn't mean that he just sat back or showed up unprepared.  Maybe we're not ready yet for the battle we want to conquer or face.  Have you prepared or gotten ready for it?  

2.  The Battle - I think this is a nice children's story because it's an underdog story. The small guy wins story.  We feel we can relate to that.  But David wasn't special because he was smaller than Goliath.  And he wasn't special because of his meager stone and sling.  He was special because God was with him.  I can't face my giants or mountains on my own, but the One who calls me His own can face them.  1 Samuel 17:45 - "David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."  

What a powerful statement. David probably knew he couldn't face Goliath alone. Heck, the entire army had been doing nothing against him all week!  But in the Name of the Lord, He could defeat him.

3. The desire - David's heart was for his people.  For God's people.  While we know that David struggled with other sins throughout his life, he was still "a man after God's own heart."  David's desire was for God.  If God has placed a direct desire on your heart, he will move the mountains.  He will face the giants.  Doesn't mean they aren't there or won't come and in fact, they will.  But God is the giant fighter and the mountain mover (how cheesy can I get?!)  And he will do it. Just have a desire and faith of David.  Isaiah 45:2-3 puts it perfectly, 
"I will go before you and will level the mountainsa ;
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.
3I will give you hidden treasures,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the Lord,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name."


Giants Fall by Francesca Battistelli

Everyone's telling you
To let go of what you're holding to
It's too late, too far
You're too small, it's too hard
Throwing water on that spark
Living deep inside your heart
With oceans of reasons
The things you're not seeing
But oh, maybe they don't
Know what you know
That you're not alone

[Chorus:]
Don't you be afraid
Of giants in your way
With God you know that anything's possible
So step into the fight
He's right there by your side
The stones inside your hand might be too small
But watch the giants fall

We could really live like this
Can't you imagine it
So bold, so brave
With childlike faith
Miracles could happen
Mountains would start moving
So whatever you may face

[Chorus]

Ask and believe
You're gonna see
The hand of God in every little thing

[Chorus]

Miracles can happen
Anything is possible
Watch the giants fall

No comments:

Post a Comment