Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beat the heat

Running Tip #3
How do you beat the heat during the summer months?  If you're a teacher, you have 3 months to run at any time during the day,  but not everyone has that luxury.  Here's what I do...

1.  If I'm not training, I slow down running to 2-3 days per week with 1 long run (around 60 min).  It's more of a maintenance phase, but it keeps you moving without killing you.

2.  Go WAY early or WAY late.  If you have the energy and zeal, get up at the butt crack of dawn (around 4:30 am) and run without the sun.  In Illinois, we're always going to have humidity so dream on about that one, but at least the sun won't be blazin then.  OR, go way late (around 8:00).  If you go any later, cars may not see you but again the sun will not be a factor.

3.  Take breaks.  If you don't run with water, and I don't, periodically stop and walk for a minute or two.  If you're like me, you'll think, "Why am I stopping at 20 minutes when I can easily run over an hour?"  Well, my friends, blame the heat and humidity. 

**Most importantly, don't be down on yourself if you can't do what you've always done one day.  You can still run and still run far.  Extenuating circumstances do play a part, as in, the heat! 

Here's to cooler runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment