Sunday, June 19, 2011

A note on Father's Day

Today is Father's Day and a special day for Dad's everywhere.  It's a day for cards, gifts, grilling, food, phone calls, and get togethers.  This will be my 2nd Father's Day without my dad.  Dad used to love this day.  Basically any day where he was the center of attention, he didn't mind.  Dad was seriously like a kid when it came to birthdays, Christmas, and Father's Day.  He acted like it was no big deal, but he loved the gifts and thoughtfulness we put into him.  A few years ago, we got him a brick that was inscribed and placed around the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis.  When he opened it, he started to cry because he couldn't believe us kids and Mom had thought of him so much to do it.  Finding the brick that year was awesome and brought up those emotions from him again. 

My dad was an awesome man.  He was stubborn, impatient, and could get easily frustrated, but he was always fair, gave you the truth, and always gave love.  I miss him today, but not more than any other day.  Today celebrates him and the great things he did and how we remember him.  Now, I can thank God for two other great father's in my life: my brothers.  Ryan has 3 yr old Lincoln and this is my oldest brother Tim's first father's day to Leah, who is an absolute joy.  Both of them have little mechanisms of my dad, so it's like I get to see how we all grew up.  They are wonderful and truly special dads. 

In memory of my dad, hug your kids today and read them a book.  Tell them you love them. 

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!! And now I leave you with a great picture of my dad....

No comments:

Post a Comment