Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pregnancy Book Review



Book Review
I want to take this time to recommend several books that have been helpful and insightful on my journey.  I have taken the approach of just learning whatever I can, asking questions, but ultimately deciding what is best for Nathan, myself, and the little guy.

Well Adjusted Babies by Dr. Jennifer Barham – Floreani
This book was recommended to me by my Chiropractor, Dr. Gaby Sabatino.  She specializes in nutrition and her sect of chiropractic care is called Maximized Living.  It has been great for us to learn and challenge what the medical world does for us.  We are by no means against hospitals, doctors, medicine, etc.  However, we have learned that a large part of our problems as Americans can be fixed through our diets, exercise, spinal adjustments, and reducing the number of toxic products/chemicals we expose ourselves too.  This book has been great for nutrition tips, different options in birthing, information on vaccines, and what types of food to introduce to your child and when.  The woman who wrote it is a chiropractor in Australia so some of the terminology is different, but you get the gist.  Overall, I would highly recommend it.  It’s honestly a What to Expect When You’re Expecting book with a focus on chiropractic care for infants, which we’re all about.

More information - http://welladjustedbabies.com/


Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan
I’ve already sort of mentioned this in my previous post about natural birthing, but this book is where I got the inspiration.  And from talking to woman who have delivered naturally.  I have a plan to deliver naturally, through methods this book discusses.  In it, I have learned about laboring at home for as long as possible, breathing, adjustments to help ease pain, mantras to help focus, and the help that Nathan can deliver to me during that time.  This is my plan.  However, should we need medical intervention if he is in danger, you’d better believe we’ll do it.  I want to have a plan and a vision, but also know that my baby’s health and safety is my number one priority. 
This book tells many stories of woman giving birth in other countries for centuries…naturally.  Yes, I realize it hurts still, but God created women’s bodies to have children.  It is a natural thing and for me, an epidural seems like an unnatural thing to do for a natural thing.  I’m not crazy, but I have researched the best option….for me.   When I first got this book from my friend, Abbie, I really thought, “Oh, that’s nice for her.”  But I really feel like this is what God wants for us with this birth.  I’m excited and nervous about what I learned in this book, but mostly excited to get to the final outcome of meeting our son.  


More information - http://www.hypnobirthing.com/


Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy
Ok, I’m only half way through this book, but it is a good laugh and a very real approach to being pregnant.  Jenny McCarthy talks about all the not so pleasant parts of being pregnant (gas, discharge, etc) and how granny underwear is all she wants to wear for comfort.  Hilarious, but oh so true at times =)  Good for a good laugh.  

More information - http://www.amazon.com/Belly-Laughs-Naked-Pregnancy-Childbirth/dp/0738210072

No comments:

Post a Comment