Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tips on Running #2

I'm on a roll, so might as well keep going!  Plus, I'm stuck sitting on the floor in a church office waiting for the tornadoes to pass.

Tip #2
INSPIRATION

What is your inspiration?  Do you just run to run or is there something behind your running?  Or if you don't run, what is it that you do with something or someone in mind?  Maybe it's your kids or a phrase or thinking, "Believe"!  I have a friend who told me once that when her son his crying in the middle of the night she says to herself, "This too shall pass."  So scripture is an inspiration to her.  What drives you?  What allows you to run through the pain in your back, knees, arms and the sweat, and how do you pick up your foot when it feels 100 pounds heavy.

My inspiration is really 3-fold.  

#1 - Jesus.  Hello?  What is the title of this blog?!  I think of Eric Liddell from Chariots of Fire  when he said, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure. "  First of all, God did not make me fast, but I'm okay with that.  But when I run, I feel like I am at home.  I feel his pleasure in something that I can do with him and for him.  A lot of people don't get that.  They see running as running but when I run, I feel Jesus' power, strength, and determination.  Heck, if he can hang on a cross and endure the suffering and pain of everyone's sins, I can surely run 1 more mile, and pick up my feet and put one in front of the other.

#2 - Hebrews 12:1 - This is my favorite scripture to think of when I run.  I encourage you to have a scripture that you hide in your heart for times of joy, trouble, pain, and just to have!  This is my "go to" verse.  It says -
 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 

I included verses 2 and 3 because they are just plain true and awesome, but focus on "the race marked out for us".  God has set the path before me in a race.  He has marked it off and surrounded us with help (witnesses).  Get rid of everything that holds you back.  For me, it's the lack of sleep, injury, poor diet, late start, etc.  Get rid of all that and run the race he set before you.  When you do something for Christ and with Christ, nothing gets better.  And you will be amazed at what you can do and accomplish through and for him.  For myself, I went from a 2:11 half marathon time to a 1:53 time in 4 years.  And I'm not fast.  

#3 - My dad.  Dad just started running again in 2007 and even ran a 5k in a really good time (32 minutes but don't quote me on that).  Although I'm convinced he ran it for the free beer!  He told me after that he just wanted to prove to himself that he could do it.  And my dad did anything he set his mind too.  He gave the best advice and was so wise.  Before he died he told me, "I know you'll keep running." He was right and I was able to write him a letter his last week with us telling him that when I run, I would think of him and talk to him.  And he'd better be with me!  And oddly enough, he is.  I can't really explain and I don't really believe in ghosts/spirits, but Dad talks to me.  I hear him and feel him.  When I ran my PR 1:53 in Indy this year, I heard him say, "Kel, you know you gotta run this under 2 hours."  That was an order and I felt alive after hearing that.  We had a special connection and I rely on him still to this day.

Whatever you do, do it well.  Whatever you do, do it for the Lord.  He will open doors and allow you opportunities that you could never imagine (PR 1:53!!!).  Find something that gives you inspiration and do it with excellence.  I always tell people that "I'm not a runner", but I still keep running.  

Hug your kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment